It seems like only yesterday we were groaning about the endless winter, but deep, deep down, I know you miss it. After all, as long as you can ride your bike, who cares what the weather is like? Join us Thursday for an evening that celebrates the challenges, joys, and adventure of winter cycling, including a presentation by Anders Swanson, who, as you will recall, attended the International Winter Cycling Congress in Oulu, Finland this winter. There will also be a remote presentation from Finland (since it was “too spendy” to send us all there), as well as a panel discussion including some experts, and me.
Monday May 27th, Lunchtime
MPI Theatre downtown in City Place (2nd floor, east side, door north of elevators).
12:00 noon – 1:00pm
Thursday May 30th, Evening
Winnipeg Free Press Cafe in The Exchange. Arthur at McDermot.
Doors at 6:00pm.
6:30pm – 8ish.
Both events feature:
– a short film about experiencing and exploring a landscape full of people and bikes and snow.
– “Oulu and the top winter cycling cities of the world”: a short presentation by Timo Perälä remote from Oulu, Finland. Mr. Perälä is the CEO of Navico ltd., a small consulting firm specializing in mobility management. He holds a masters degree in civil engineering (construction economics) and has completed several studies and projects related to winter cycling and winter maintenance throughout Finland. Timo directed the 2013 international winter cycling congress – the only event of its kind bringing together experts in the field from around the world – and goes regularly by bike year-round himself (no lycra, just a cruiser).
– Refreshments provided.
Thursday Evening Only
– Panel discussion: A big-ideas panel featuring Paul Jordan, COO of the Forks, Councillor Justin Swandel, Andrea Tétrault and speaker Timo Perälä. Moderated by Bartley Kives.
– Exciting event announcements.
– Hors d’oeuvres provided. Alcohol available.
Seating is limited. RSVPs appreciated but not required.
Hope to see you there!