On Any Given Sunday
Things have been a little hairy the last couple of days, so I haven’t had a chance to post anything about my Sunday ride. Sometimes life does get in the way of telling the world (ok, all three of you) what’s on my mind. I’ll keep it short and sweet today.
I often ride on Sunday morning. On a day when the weather is bad, there may only be two or three of us. On a good day, sometimes 10 or 12. Today was one of those bonus days when the weather was supposed to be crap and wasn’t. We had I think 9 riders – a nice mix of the usual suspects and a couple of other folks to mix things up a little.
It’s remarkable the things you learn on a group ride. Everything from life philosophies to mechanical tips. Here are just some of the things I learned over 110 kms today:
1) It is indeed possible for a woman to pee while riding a bike without soiling her shorts. I was dubious until Scott demonstrated the position perfectly (with his shorts on, thankfully).
2) Even really expensive bikes get flats
3) Someone from France can dream of living in Brandon, Manitoba
4) In some circles, I am still known as “the Andrea that crashed”
5) Doghouse bad. Cathouse good.
6) Riding with your rear brake on is very difficult
7) When riding on the prairies, things that look kind of close are actually very far away
8) there is almost nothing I would rather do than ride my bike.